Friday, May 25, 2012

Story: Chapter 1 (Part 4-updated)

A/N(Update): Hi guys! Once again, I updated this part to make it much more interesting (I hope). Thanks for telling me my flaws and commenting, sweet_me! It helped a lot!! Gotta do my Geo project now...Bye for now!

════
~Benjamin POV~


“Ben, wake up! We have to go to school!” Lizzy shouted.

“No! I don’t wanna” I replied, sleepily.

“C’mon! WAKE UP!” light suddenly shines on my face as the duvet was pulled from my bed.

“LIZZY!!!” I shouted at my sister, Lizzy.

“What? Give me three reasons why you hate school and I'll let you go!” she shouted back.

“First, you’re probably the most popular girl in school which makes everyone at school look down on me and secondly, it’s not the school that I wanted to go!” I shouted. "Lastly, Mum and Dad is not here!" I said, not thinking properly. I’m just angry at Lizzy, my parents and even the whole world for not preventing that day at the train station from happening.

Lizzy, saw through my words paused, looked at me with her pleading eyes. She's probably trying to tell me not to make things worse. “Ben, I know that things have been hard for you. It has been for me too. So can you please stop and think what would Mum and Dad would do if they saw you behave like this?” she said. I stopped and think for a while and finally said, “Fine”.

“Good. Now go put on some clothes. Breakfast is waiting for you at the table,” Lizzy said, as she tidied up my room, which I secretly think can almost compete with ‘The Hoarders’ show. “Geez, why can’t you just throw these away?” Lizzy said as she held up a few of my comic books that she plucked out from my collection. “Or better yet; sell them! And what about this…”

“Yeah, whatever you say. Go ahead and sell them for all I care,” I mumbled, not listening to her rambling. I slipped on a black shirt with a picture of a skull and red ink on it. The red ink or ‘blood’ is splattered all over the shirt revealing my gothic side. Lizzy never like the shirt because she thinks it’s too black. “Whatever” I said to her when she tried to talk me out of it. I quickly grabbed my messenger bag and ran out of the room.
I ran down the stairs leading to the living room and jogged towards the kitchen. I saw that no one was in the kitchen and an empty plate was sitting there at the table. 'Mr Kingstone must have left in a hurry', I thought when I saw a few crumbs near the plate. I stopped abruptly at the kitchen table, making me almost lost my footing and grabbed a sandwich. I ran out of the door before Lizzy could stop me. Even if she could, I will sneak behind her back anyway.

When I finally got out of the front door, I stopped to stare at my grandparents’ detached house. Although a man, Mr Kingstone who is not blood-related to the family is taking care and living with me and Lizzy in that house, the land is under my family’s surname, Waine. It’s just that Mr Kingstone agreed to take care of us, for the sake of his old friend, my grandfather.

Before I turn my back, I spotted Lizzy staring at me through the living room’s window. Then, she grabbed a rectangular object and brought it close to her ear. Suddenly, I heard a loud ringing coming from my back pocket of my jeans. I took out my cell phone and pressed the green answering button. Immediately, I can hear her calm, soothing voice.

“I told the school that you got a fever” I heard her say.

“Thanks, Lizzy” I said.

“…I need you to stay safe, okay?”

“Yes, ma’am”

“I almost forgot…”

“What?”

“Happy anniversary”

“…You too, Lizzy.”

“Good. I have to go to school now”.

“Bye. See you at home, sis”

“You better”

I hung up after that. I waved good-bye at Lizzy before I walk along the pavement. I munched on the bacon sandwich that I grabbed in a hurry while I walk towards a nearby park. There were a few people around so I sat on a bench near the trees. I swallowed the last of my sandwich before I stare into the open space, thinking.

May 23rd. Today is the third anniversary of the day when my parents left me and Lizzy on a bus to Sioux Falls. I was only twelve and Lizzy fourteen when my dad told us to find our grandparents’ old house. I leaned back on the bench and closed my eyes, my mind travelled back to the time at the train station where I last saw Mum and Dad…

3 years earlier…

“Why do we have to look for Grandpa and Grandma’s house? They’re already dead anyway” I said when Lizzy and I were lining up. Dad ignored the question and said, “Just find a man called Mr Kingstone. He’s living in your grandparents’ old house now. Tell him your names and he will take care of you”.

I looked at both Mum and Dad through confused eyes. Even though they tried to hide it, I can see that there’s anxiety in their eyes ever since they asked us to pack our bags with food and clothes in that same morning. “Why won’t you come with us? Did we do something wrong?” I asked, probing for answers.

“No, my little Ben, you didn’t anything wrong”, Mum said with her British accent as she bent down to touch my face. “Then, why are you leaving us? Also, I don’t like being called ‘little’. I’m already twelve!” I said a bit annoyed. Mum laughed. “I know. You’re growing up very fast, Ben. You deserve to know why we are asking this of you but we cannot tell you at this moment”, she said. “Fine”, I said even though I’m not so satisfied with her answer.

“Will you come and look for us?” Lizzy, always the mature one, asked. “Yes, of course. No matter where you both go, your father and I will always find you”, said Mum before she wraps her arms around both of us. Dad, too, gave us one last hug before we step on the train.

THUMP! “Ouch!”

My memory quickly vanished the moment I heard these sounds. I opened my eyes abruptly and stood up slowly. ‘Did someone fall just now? Where did that person fell from? I wonder if he’s alright’, I thought as I walked towards a tree where the voice came from.

As I glanced behind the tree, I felt a push behind me and I slipped at the roots of the tree. ‘Someone just pushed me!’ I thought angrily. I turned around to see my attacker, about to give her a piece of my mind.

‘Wait—what? It’s a her?’ I thought surprised with what—who I saw. Staring back at me is a girl with long silky black hair and golden eyes. “I’m sorry I pushed you, sir. I assumed that you were an enemy of mine”, she spoke in the same British accent like Mum does. “In return of helping you up from the filthy ground, would you be so kind to tell me where am I, sir?”

I stared at her, didn’t believe what I just heard. “You were the one who pushed me?” I said out loud. I find it hard to believe that this girl who looks to be smaller than me in size but still can push a football player like me easily. “Yes and I apologize again if I caused you any injury”, she said. I don’t want to admit it but I’m starting to feel a bit painful at my back where she pushed me. I stood up, struggling not to trip on any of the roots.

When I looked at her again, an image of Mr Kingstone suddenly appeared in my head, merging with the image of the girl. I realised that they looked quite alike in features although the girl have golden eyes and Mr Kingstone has deep green eyes. Suddenly, I want to know more about this girl and Mr Kingstone and how are they connected. I felt a static feeling flowing through me—the kind that makes you feel like an adventure is coming—for the first time since the day at the train station.

“Who the hell are you?” I finally asked, wanting some answers.

════
A/N: Hope you enjoy the story so far! Comment now!! XD

2 comments:

  1. Better better. There are a few illogical part like how did Ben assumed exactly that Camille's age was 13 but that all the critique there is so still Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already seeking entertainment in this a normal guy getting to know a girl from the parallel world or something...

    ReplyDelete